Wednesday, July 02, 2008

1073 - Monkey Warfare


I first heard of this film when I was lucky enough to be out for drinks with Don McKellar after a script reading event. I think it was just about to come out and he was pimping it a bit, which just goes to show you the kind of guy he is. The film is the baby of Don's longtime editor and so it's really awesome to see him helping the guy out in his first foray into feature directing.
That aside, how was the film? It's kind of hard to talk about it without mentioning the budget and how much they did with so little. For a practically no-budget film it's incredibly open and they've been able to give the film at least the look of having production value, so good on them. The cast is all wonderful with McKellar and Tracy Wright being solid as per usual, but for me this was a discovery film for Nadia Litz. She has a few odd moments, which were more a stylistic director choice, of which she can't be faulted, but despite being easy to look at she's got this quality that makes you just want to spend time with her on the screen. Hopefully as she continues to grow she retains her Canadian roots. I'd love to work with her some day.
So overall I think the film had a good story, although I'll admit I was a little let down by the reveal at the end. I was expecting a bit more, not much, but a little at least. It's out on DVD now and easily worth the rental. I picked it up used and I'm really looking forward to listening to the commentary.

No comments: