Tuesday, July 15, 2008

1080 - The Wire: season one


I'm surprised that it took me as long as it did to get into this show, especially since I'm an HBO-whore. I remember when it started up, and something about it just didn't interest me. The amazingly positive word of mouth completely turned it around. I love how this show works, how the characters all make you feel something whether you love or hate them, there is no character that you're really indifferent about.
The case is a puzzle and we get to see both sides playing it out, how to stay one step ahead, how to figure out the next move. The writing is top notch. It's also got enough of a sense of humor to itself that it never gets too heavy without some relief, save a few key moments in the final episodes. I won't give away anything just in case. But if you like cop shows and ESPECIALLY if you like The Wire, check it out.
Can't wait to sit down and watch season two, I just hope that Omar and Bubbles stick around.

No comments: