Friday, July 04, 2008

1074 - WALL*E


At some point in the middle of the day today I got really excited about watching this film. I like Pixar. I'm not a diehard fan, I don't think, but I do enjoy their stuff as it always seems to be quality. The animation is pretty stellar in terms of being lifelike, but that begs the question, is being realistic what makes it good? There's some amazing animation that looks nothing like real life. Should we be amazed that they can make dust look real, or is it actually a step back in creative terms... something to consider.
What's the most enjoyable about this film is how it borrows from the old days of Buster Keaton and Jacques Tati, having the film play out mostly silently is a bold choice, but it pays off and we love the characters just as much, and it's a wonderful test in how well Pixar can tell a story through visuals. It's also quite the comment on mankind, or at least where they think we're headed. Sad thing is, I don't think they're far off.
I'm not sure the reasoning behind incorporating live-action humans into it. Seems an odd choice, like it was making a comment that went over my head. Loved the continuous Apple references though.
Definitely worth seeing and on the big screen.

No comments: