Friday, March 19, 2010

1324 - You Are Here


I saw this film at a cast and crew screening that I tagged along to with Scott McLaren. It's by a local filmmaker friend of Scott's, Daniel Cockburn. All I knew is that it was made for a cost and schedule not unlike my own. And that it was an experimental narrative film that had Tracy Wright and Nadia Litz in it. Enough for me. Sign me up!

So I'm not a huge watcher of experimental films, so I dont have a lot to draw from. I've seen enough bad ones to not actively seek them out at all - but this film had a lot to think about. Some really clever pieces and ideas and it left you with your head swimming. And because the film was self aware it didn't feel overly pretentious which films like this can oh-so-easily do. It was shot beautifully and with purpose. Full of wonderful actors, a handful of which I know, some of which auditioned for my film.

I hope this film finds an audience, because the right audiece will just eat it up till there's nothing left of it - the wrong audience just won't bother with it - so that's okay. But with these kinds of films you just never know where it's going to end up. It's got little commercial value so hopfully the right people get what it's about and put it up on some screens to get a little buzz.

Well done Daniel. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

No comments: