Thursday, March 25, 2010

Criminal: Bad Night


God damn it do I love this book. I read it practically in one sitting. Brubaker knows how to weave a tail and put you right into the skin of his characters. The way he'll weave into other characters P.O.V.'s for a moment or two, just so you can see where they're coming from - even if they are a damaged and deranged bastard. I can't think of a better noir series, not that I'm a big noir expert, but this just soars high above any other crime fiction I've read just for it's purity and grittiness. No one walks away without being punished. I'd love to write in this genre one day. Mine would be more a mixture of this and Damon Runyon combined though I think. Not sure I could go quite as serious and dark as Brubaker, but I'd like to think I could. What a lovely world to play in. I need to pick up my Chandler novels again and start reading them.

No comments: