Sunday, March 28, 2010

1328 - Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid


This is another of those classics that I had never seen. I'm a big fan of George Roy Hill as a director, and especially the subsequent film that this trio made "The Sting". So I've always wanted to watch this, and was super happy when I saw it as part of that Blockbuster Clearance sale that I happened upon several weeks ago.
You can just tell by watching that Newman and Redford are having a hell of a time making this film. Despite the inevitable conclusion they always find a way to keep it light and entertaining. The only real problem that this film has is that it's, more or less, plotless. Things happen, sure, but there's no real driving force felt - the noose doesn't really feel like it's tightening all that much. I know this isn't a small problem, but I can let this go given that I'm viewing this from a different standpoint than in which it was made.
I love the way that this was shot. Hill has a very specific visual that he's after in this film - and I love how he's able to just hang-back, and let the posse that's after them be faceless.
What's even more interesting is that I just found several articles that state that they're starting work on a sequel to this in a month from now with Sam Shepard playing Butch. Interesting choice given how this one ended. Looking forward to seeing that explanation :)
So if you haven't seen it, it's worth it.

No comments: