Thursday, May 05, 2011

1559 - The Baby Formula

When my wife was pregnant with our son I read a book called "Bear With Me" about a lesbian couple having a child and I had the thought, well wouldn't it be interesting to have a story about two women in a relationship that got pregnant at the same time.  And then after a little poking around I discovered this film and thought... well... shit.  Someone's already come up with it... And now having seen it I think I'm safe to actually explore my version of it.
This film is about two women being involved in a scientific breakthrough - being able to create a baby without a man using stem cells.  The entire thing is fictitious but it's interesting enough, and accidentally both women end up pregnant at the same time.  Now, this film is listed as a comedy and for the first part it is, more or less, it's also meant to take place through the eyes of a documentary camera crew but stylistically they don't really follow that unless they feel like it.  There are definitely some shots that don't make sense coming from the camera crew, etc... so I'm not sure why they didn't just make it a straight up narrative or make a stronger choice to just go with the documentary style. 
The film chugs along at the beginning and has some pretty funny bits, but then it just turns into a melodramatic mess around the middle in a really long sequence where they decide to tell their families about what's really going on. 
This is a film that starts off with such promise and then derails into itself, mostly because it doesn't know what it wants to be.  It starts off as a comedy and then becomes pretty preachy and then gets extremely serious for a bit.  The tone is all over the place and so it's impossible to get attached to it and really care for the characters  I'm glad that I saw it for the sole reason that I know that there's still plenty to mine from the idea of two women pregnant at the same time that this film hasn't used.  Other than that, I'm just really not sure that I can recommend it, sadly. 

No comments: