Sunday, May 29, 2011

1571 - Macho

Alright.  I think I'm going to go on a film blitz for the next little bit - I've been spending most evenings writing and so now I'm going to take a short sabbatical.  I'd like to, once again, thank Netflix for introducing me to yet another little gem of a film that I might otherwise never have heard about.  This is a simple little long-distance-relationship film.  And as another review of this film has said, small films about relationships are a dime a dozen, but this one is certainly worth checking out.  The film is broken up in to tiny little moments about a relationship from two people, all from his point-of-view.  The tagline of the film is He loves her.  She likes him.  And I think what that gets down to is perspective.  The film works mostly because it it's two stars Rafael Palacio Illingworth (also writer and director), and Jolene Andersen.  Andersen, above, is beautiful and charming and bitchy and human.  Some could say that this is a vanity project for Illingworth, but there is no vanity here.  What's on display is nothing short of bare-bones and painfully honest - often for comic effect. 
For those who like their romantic comedies raw and real, this one will be right up your alley.  It's short and sweet and easy to recommend.  Enjoy!

No comments: