Saturday, July 16, 2011

1591 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II

I realize that I said I had this wonderfully elaborate plan to re-watch all of the previous installments first, I even finally bought Half-Blood Prince this week in anticipation of that.  Hell, I even left the house tonight with full intentions of going to see Super 8, but in my heart of hearts I knew that I really just wanted to see this.
In retrospect I really wish I'd at least watched the first part prior as this one starts smack-dab in the middle of it.  Actually, that's probably my only critique is that this one REALLY feels like it's just picking up exactly where we left off with no ramp up at all.  Although - maybe that's not such a bad thing.
There was some really lovely stuff about this one - and it was great watching it with an opening night audience to hear the cheers, of which their were many.  The largest was probably when Ron and Hermoine finally, after all these years, embraced romantically.  Part of me wonders if the producers didn't make an extra effort in the final film to keep Emma Watson with a damp look (which is a nice look for her).  This film is one that's really for the fans and a great conclusion in that it really gives each of its characters a moment to shine, and it has a lot of fun with going back to things from earlier in the series - all of which due to the excellent plotting by Rowling in the book.
I think my biggest problem with this series is just that I don't understand why and how the wizard world exists without involving the world of muggles.  I understand Voldermort's desire to run the world - why would they hide when they are clearly more valuable.  I don't recall this ever being explained.  Seems a bit odd to me.  Alas.
I'm not sure what else to say.  I laughed, I got emotional.  If you're a fan of the series you absolutely have to see it in the cinema. 

No comments: