Friday, July 01, 2011

P.E.I.: Day Ten

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CANADA! So today the weather was on and off, which was perfect for the festivities. One of the coolest things about the trip was knowing that we'd be in the birth-town of confederation on Canada Day, so I was pretty excited for that. I couldn't even begin to imagine what kind of festivities they would have!

And then we got there. And it… kind of reminded me of the Canada Day's in Cayuga, Ontario where I grew up (but maybe on a larger scale). And if I'm being honest, I think Cayuga was a bit more exciting - there was more involvement with people, games, events. The only really great thing today was their music stage, other than that it was some bouncy castles and line-ups for junk food. Ephraim wanted his face painted (which is new, it used to scare the hell out of him), but there was only one person manning the booth, and after being in line for a half hour with it barely moving we realized that we'd be there for at least another hour before it would be Ephraim's turn. So I grabbed a temporary tattoo from the booth and convinced Ephraim that it was the same thing as getting his face painted.

So I guess I was a little let down by the festivities. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was a little more than that. The highlight, as I mentioned, was the music stage but in particular Mike Pendergast - a man whose name I keep seeing whenever we're looking into music here. We saw him play in the Avonlea Village group and were fortunate to talk to him afterwards there. He's one of the people I plan to get in touch with as I develop my idea for a P.E.I. film/show, I think he would be an absolute wealth of knowledge.

So a pretty average Canada Day, sadly, but the highlight in the evening was hearing our friend Blake Lambert read the nightly news on CBC. He'll be doing it all weekend in the evenings, every hour on the hour, and you can catch it by clicking this link here.

We've got five days left on The Island and still some more adventures to be had! We've been very thankful for the increasingly better weather.

No comments: