Sunday, March 25, 2012

1709 - Reservoir Dogs

I was a film kid-nerd in the nineties, so Tarantino was one of my big influences in my teens.  Of course his films were cool, but also it was the resurgence of Independent cinema, so there was also that as way of influence.  I'm sure that at some point I thought of "cool" crime films that I could write, but in the end that was never my voice and I'm absolutely okay with that.  And if I ever do do a crime film it'll be my voice and not an imitation, which is what Tarantino inspired a lot of in the ears following this and Pulp Fiction.
I'm rewatching this as a visual kind of thing.  Not really for the overly stylized pieces, actually all the stuff in between surprisingly.  I'm not going to say anything about this film that hasn't already been said.  I decided to watch this with the commentary on and had to turn it off.  I respect Tarantino as a filmmaker but I can't listen to the man talk.  I just can't.  He's a little too pleased with himself, and the stories that he tells about how he works with people just makes me feel like I don't think he'd be the most pleasant person to spend time around. 
Say what you will about the film, as a first time filmmaker, it's a tour-de-foce, I've seen it I don't even know how many times, and it was fun to revisit after I don't even know how long. 

No comments: