Friday, March 09, 2012

Bossypants

I bought this for my wife awhile back when I saw that EVERY WOMAN in the subway was reading it (and good for them!).  I love Tina Fey.  I love her sense of humor, her awkwardness.  This is going to sound terrible, but when I watch 30 Rock with my wife, I realize just how much Tina is like my wife - in a good way (and for the record my wife sees it too).
This book is interesting in that it's almost a self-help book in some ways.  It's also part biography, and a little behind-the-scenes.  Some more criticize it for not having a clear direction as to what it's about - that there's no clear direction and each chapter is fairly random - but the thing is that Tina has such a strong and amazing voice that it really doesn't matter.  You keep reading because it's just full of honesty and hilarity.  Two things that were interesting to discover was that - first - Tina Fey has a prominent scar.  Perhaps the magic of TV and film make-up is really great, but I never noticed it.  Now I can see it when I look at her, but I hadn't before (one of the first things she talks about in the book).  And secondly I just loved her outlook on life in general.  Everyone could benefit from reading her chapter on how using the rules of improvisation can improve your life.  I don't think she's wrong.
I imagine this book will appeal stronger to females, but I loved the hell out of it.  There's some great behind the scenes stuff for both 30 Rock, and Saturday Night Live for those who want a behind-the-curtain glance.  If you're already a fan of Tina Fey's comic stylings, reading this is a no-brainer.

2 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

Love this book! I just bought the paperback and when I get a chance I'll reread it and laugh again and highlight my favourite parts. I think most women can see Liz Lemon in themselves (well, maybe not the 6 feet tall models who rescue children from war torn countries, but the rest of us can). You didn't notice her scar? Hmm, I wonder if more women did than men? I have a scar on my forehead so I am always more aware of scars on others :). I hope she writes more prose (non fiction or not) She is a woman I admire (along with Emma Thompson)

Jennifer Bragg said...

This was such a fabulously hilarious book! Not that I expected anything less, but I was surprised at how many times I burst out laughing on the subway while reading it. Usually I can it inside in public ;). I was one of the 'every other woman' you mentioned, but I was e-reading it, so my fits of laughter were unexplainable to others. I should have slapped Tina's picture on my Kobo so I could reassure people 'I'm not crazy, this woman is just brilliantly funny!'