Thursday, June 13, 2013

1853 - Something Borrowed


I have to say that I was delightfully surprised by this film.  It feels like a very by-the-numbers story, and I supposed to some extent it is, but it also tackles a slightly less pleasant storyline than most rom-coms and it does well by it.  I feel like the characters get let off the hook a little bit in the end, and things work out a little too well - but I can understand the reason for going that route.
Ginnifer Goodwin is pretty delightful, and while her male love interest felt a little flat for me, I still cared about her and her journey.  John Kransinski pretty-much-steals the film in the best friend role and the best writing in the film is the dynamic between these two characters - where they end up is the kind of thing you assume will happen, and I was hoping they'd be a bit more original, but again, it's that kind of film - I totally get it.
It's on netflix, so if you're up for a better than average rom-com (although not really a comedy in any way…) it's worth your time.

No comments: