Tuesday, June 18, 2013

1858 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice


Had this on my zip list (use, I still have a zip.ca account... weird...) I watched this mostly 'cause I'll watch anything with Jay Baruchel in it.  I actually hadn't thought of this being a remake of Fantasia until it got to the broom sequence - which was a really lovely little touch.  I'm a fan of anything with some magic to it, so that was another added incentive to check this out.  It's a fun film - pretty typical hero's journey stuff - saving the world and whatnot - but because of what Jay brings to it it becomes really fresh and fun.  The special effects are pretty great here because of the way they incorporate practical with digital and it really does sell it well.  It's a bit of a fairy tale, really.  Worth checking out and extremely family friendly.

No comments: