Saturday, May 17, 2008

1052 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom


Still gearing up for the newest Indiana flick. Like Raiders I haven't watched this film in I don't know how long. I remember that when I was a kid I had this taped off of T.V. and the tape ran out when they were in the tunnel at the end, just as the water was coming towards them. I guess for me they always ended in that tunnel. It wasn't until I was in my teens that I finally saw the actual ending. Gotta be honest, I don't remember being that blown away.
Having just come off of re-watching Raiders and being really excited to re-watch Last Crusade I think this is my least favorite of the series. Not to dis it, it just feels... different. In a bad way? I don't know. We don't see a lot of voodoo dolls or blood drinking potions in the other installments, nor people ripping hearts out of people's chests with them still alive. I realize that there is a not quite realistic feel to the whole series, but this one's just a tad over the top. Don't get me wrong, it has great set pieces. I love the opening with the plane and the raft, love the oriental 'Anything Goes' dance number. In fact, the beauty of this being the first film (if you're thinking in chronological terms) Indy does have the biggest arch in this film in terms that he starts off as a selfish treasure hunter after glory and riches, and ends up realizing that artifacts actually mean something to people.
First time I ever noticed that the club at the beginning is called "Club Obi Wan", or that Dan Akroyd appears at the airport in the films first reel.
So although I don't think it's the best of the series, it still has a special place in my heart.
And come on, who doesn't love Short Round?

No comments: