Saturday, May 24, 2008

1060 - Year of the Dog


I've been following Mike White's career for a few years now and I've enjoyed all of the film's he's written, and I have to be honest that while I did enjoy this film, it would have been much better with someone else at the helm. It's works because of the wonderful cast (who you can't help but wonder what kind of favors were pulled in to get them), and the script, which like all of White's work is full of deliciously funny and also heartbreaking moments.
Laura Dern has a fantastic small role as the mother who you just want to smack. I hated her so much here - but in the good way. She's a great actress.
It's on DVD and worth a rental. I had quite a few moments of laughing out loud, as well as eventually being drawn in to it emotionally.
It was a good film that could have been great.

No comments: