Monday, May 19, 2008

1057 - High Art


Again, another film that more than likely isn't that well known to people. I only came across it because it had the same title as a project that I was working on and the description peaked my interest.
It's a story about a used-to-be-famous photographer who is rediscovered by an assistant editor at a photography magazine and their relationship. Considering the content it does a really great job of avoiding all the usual cliches that come along with these kinds of films (except, perhaps for the ending).
Ally Sheedy and Radha Mitchell are really quite good together, I buy their relationship hook, line, and sinker. Patricia Clarkson is amazing as this cracked-out German actress who is usually stoned, and likable despite herself.
Unfortunately the ending keeps me from giving this a full fledged recommend, but someone else will probably be able to look past it more than I can.
Great performances, beautiful look to the film. I dug it far more than I thought I would. Shame about that last reel, could have been a real diamond.

No comments: