Monday, May 26, 2008

Scott Pilgrim


I have to give a big thanks to Mr. Aron Dunn for introducing me to the world of Scott Pilgrim. It's a comic series by Bryan Lee O'Malley and currently has four volumes, all of which you could probably read in a day, and since they're so wonderfully good, you'll probably have to.
WHAT IS SCOTT PILGRIM AND WHY SHOULD YOU CARE:
Scott Pilgrim is a 23-year-old guy living in the big city with his gay roommate, just trying to make his way in this crazy world.
Scott Pilgrim likes the new girl in town, Ramona Flowers, but to win her heart, he has to defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends.

Sounds ridiculous, right? It kinda is, but in such a good way. Edgar Wright is making a film of this with Michael Cera in the role of Scott, and as excited as I am, I'm also a little concerned. There are certain elements of the way O'Malley tells this story that just won't translate to the screen. I could be wrong, in fact I hope I am. I'm not going to be a hater and say that the film is going to suck, I'm just going to go in and try to see it with fresh eyes - see what they come up with.
What I really hope doesn't happen is that they decide to americanize it. Part of my joy in reading the book is that it takes place in Toronto, we have Scott fighting at Honest Ed's and Castle Loma, playing a band gig at Lee's Palace, and eating crappy food at Sneaky Dee's afterwards, rolling down to The Beach on the weekend. It's Toronto through and through. It also captures that wonderful twenty-something era. I laughed out loud, I got emotionally involved and attached. I love these characters, I love how they speak, think, feel. They are my friends in paper form. They can be your friends too!
I strongly urge anyone and everyone to pick up this series. Right now volumes 1-4 are out, and if I'm correct there's two more planned, one should be coming out this summer *fingers crossed*. I can only assume that they'll plan to release the film and the final book around the same time.
Read it. Love it.

No comments: