Monday, January 04, 2010

1303 - Away We Go


It's been two days since I saw this film, and it's going to be a different review than if I'd written about it right away. Right away I thought this was a pretty sweet little film. John and Maya are really really enjoyable, and they're believable as a couple and I dig them. Upon reflection what this film really is is an examination of different finds of families and how they work, using these two as a way to get to them. It's contrived, and that's okay. That's how these kind of films have to be to show a diverse group of people with varying opinions. I guess the problem I have in further reflection on this film is that the groups of people are a little too stereotypical for me. I feel like I want these two to remain unbiased, but there's a definite bias with the filmmakers. Some characters are left to feel real and others being characatures and I don't think it's fair to the mindset of the people that they're meant to represent. As a person who has pretty specific views and opinions on how I want my family to be, and a strong view of how I see other people's families, I thought the film was a bit... judgmental. That being said, I recommend it. I want to revisit it and check out the extras on the DVD. It's a film I need to watch more to see if some of my reservations are intentional, and what those intentions might just be.

No comments: