Monday, January 04, 2010

Powers: #3 - Little Deaths


I got turned onto this comic series recently and in addition to my writing about television and films I'm going to keep a little dialogue about the graphic novel series I'm reading as well.
I'm not entirely sure how I get about 'Powers' to be completely honest. There's some really great back-and-forth-banter-dialogue going on in here, but that alone isn't enough. More often than now I find myself wanting to get to the point. The series itself takes place in a world where people with powers are normal. And there's a cop, Walker, who is a former Power, that is the go-to-guy for dealing with crimes involved with Powers. So that's interesting and intriguing. But the stories they tell are just kind of 'meh'. I mean besides slowly teasing us about Walker's past there isn't a whole hell of a lot of intrigue or a sense of some bigger over-all story going on here. I mean, there's definitely some commentary here about the idea of super heroes realistically surviving in society, but it feels a little like Watchmen-lite to me. I've got two more of these books outstanding to read, and I will read them, but if it doesn't pick up I'm gonna set it down. There are too many great comic series out there to spend time on ones that are 'just okay'.

1 comment:

Carlos said...

Also there is your blog. I'll read that over that so-so graphic novel you just posted about. :p