Sunday, January 09, 2011

1493 - Earth Girls Are Easy

First off, I'd like to thank netflix for bringing back the 80's! I haven't seen this film since I was a kid and I completely forgot that there were aspects of a musical in this. It's a bizarre little film that almost borders on satire. I had a crush on Geena Davis when I was younger and she's still lovely here. Goldblum is great as well, although he isn't given nearly enough to do - and Wayans and Carrey are more or less the over-the-top side-kick duo.
The biggest problem with this film is that... there isn't really a story or a plot to speak of. There's a premise (an awesome one at that). But I never really get a sense of what these people - aliens or otherwise - want or need. I know the aliens want to get home - but they fix their ship stupid easy. No one really has any goal or drive.
This is the kind of film that has a great premise in there somewhere, but it's not really coming out and doing all of the fun stuff that it could be (which I refuse to mention - who knows - maybe down the road I'll write an updated version of this and need some of them). People always remake films that are good and classics - and I understand that - you've got a built in audience. Me, I prefer to look at some of the nearly missed gems from my youth - this being one of them. Adapt films that didn't do their premise justice, I say!
Netflix is packed full of eighties stuff, so I look forward to getting through them as I have a chance. If you're feeling nostalgic, or just plain curious, check this film out. Otherwise, there's probably something else that you could be doing/watching...

No comments: