Sunday, January 16, 2011

1499 - The Social Network

I saw this in the theaters but couldn't resist picking up the Blu-ray - it's loaded to the tits with some pretty fantastic features including one of the best making-ofs that there are (my favorite is still 'That Moment' on the Magnolia DVD).  
This film is a powerhouse.  First off, it's not many films that can boast such an unlikable protagonist, and still be this enchanting.  I think it's always impressive when someone can come up with the "big idea" and Facebook was that and more.  It was probably the most impressive invention in terms of the internet following the internet itself.  And like it says in the film, Facebook is like fashion and fashion doesn't end - it just continues to evolve.
This is an interesting film for Fincher, it's a little less stylized than most of his films but there's no denying his presence here.  Who else would employ Trent Reznor to create one of the most amazing scores in recent memory - easily my favorite of the year.
This film is rich in classic themes and I can't imagine that it'll be forgotten by time.  Regardless of how accurate it is in the details I'm sure that the broad strokes are there.  It stands up well on multiple views and I really can't wait to check out the commentaries on the disc.  If you loved this film then please treat yourself to the Blu-Ray, great features.  And if you haven't seen this film, do yourself a favor and get on it.  It's easily one of the best of 2010.
The Social Network (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]

2 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I liked the film, and enjoyed the dialogue very much. My one problem with it is that it's not visually exciting at all, and I kept thinking with all this dialogue, it feels like it was written for television. Mind you, it's definitely worth the viewing, despite Justin Timberlake's performance ;)

Jeremy said...

And yet it was nominated for cinematography! :) I think that it had an interesting visual to it despite it being very talky (no surprise from a Sorkin script). Although the opening scene set the pace for that, so I can't argue about it too much. I liked Timberlake much more than I thought I would. I think it's a film that's really going to age well.