Wednesday, January 12, 2011

1495 - Guess Who

Emily and I needed to sit down and watch something "mindless and fun" and she picked this as it's something she's been meaning to see for some time. I'm a bad film geek in that I still haven't seen the original iteration of this Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, so I have to judge this solely on it's own merits.
I guess I can lead by admitting that I'm not a lover or hater of either Bernie Mac or Ashton Kutcher. I think they're both fine actors and while neither is enough solely draw me to a film, neither deters me from one either. The premise for this film sounded like it could be great or horrible, so I had at it.
There is some funny stuff here. But there's also a lot of scenes that you watch and you think - huh - that should be funny. Why isn't it? It's the strangest thing, but you can actually see jokes failing. In truth, I wonder if it's just a case where the actors and the materials don't quite fit...
I can't pan this film completely - it's by no means horrible - and in truth, if you were dying to see it, chances are that you have already. So I guess I'll leave it up to you - check it out if you have the desire - it's just not something that knocked my socks off.
Guess Who

No comments: