Saturday, January 15, 2011

1497 - Year One

When this film first got announced I thought that the concept had enormous potential.  The idea of putting someone with a modern consciousness in the period of biblical times was just pure comic gold.  And then seeing the cast that they'd assembled got me extra excited.  Then it came out and people shit all over it, so I kinda forgot about it.  
So I decided to check it out anyway, and honestly, there's some funny stuff going on in here.  But I think that my biggest issue with it, and probably the reason that it didn't go over so well, is that it really lacks a driving force.  It just feels like it goes from one bit to another, stringed together by a loose narrative.  So if you don't care about something as silly as a "plot" then this will probably be just fine for you. 
On the upside, really enjoyed discovering June Diane Raphael here.  She's funny, sexy, and just over all wonderful. 

No comments: