Monday, January 24, 2011

1505 - Four Christmases

 
This is one of those films that's got just such a great concept, and one that's completely relevant to today's society.  Pretty much anyone in a serious relationship knows what it's like to juggle family during the holidays, going from one family to the next - and this film takes that idea to the extreme when you've got a couple who both come from divorced homes.  A couple who is avoided real serious commitment because of it.
I like Vince Vaughn and I generally like Reese Witherspoon, although something about her was... off in this film.  I can't quite pin down what.  There was some funny stuff going on here, but nothing that really took me over the top with laughter.  I really liked how they showed moments where they really didn't know each other all that well, but considering that that was the biggest issue in their relationship I'm not sure that they dealt with it all that well.  Sure they had their moment where they got it all out with each other, but I still felt like, in the end, they were the same superficial couple.
There's enough here for the regular rom-com fan to enjoy, but I don't think it's going to become any kind of holiday classic.  See it if you're interested.

No comments: