Wednesday, January 19, 2011

1501 - Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

 
I was half tempted to revisit the original before jumping into this one.  I was really surprised by the first film and how solid it was in terms of funny and character.  This film, I think, relies a little bit more on crude rather than clever (correct me if I'm wrong - it's been years since I saw the original).  
What I liked in particular about this film was the length at which they took the theme of ridiculous racism.  Really nice thematic stuff going on amidst all the jokes.  Roger Bart has a great little part - of course there is a brilliant Neil Patrick Harris cameo.
If you liked the original then you've probably already seen this - if you write this series off as pure slacker flick then you're probably doing it a disservice.  At least check out the original, it's loads of fun - and if it doesn't crack you up, snuggle up with this.  It's by no means a brilliant film, but it's enjoyable.

No comments: