Tuesday, September 20, 2011

1622 - Closer

I don't know why I'm just realizing this now, but this might be one of my all-time favorite films.  I know I've revisited it a lot more than other films in past years.  I'm currently doing notes on a new project idea and for someone reason I just knew that I had to rewatch this to get inspired. 
If you're not familiar, this is a film about four people who just can't stop getting in each others way romantically.  It's based on a play, and it's not hard to tell.  There are very few scenes (compared to most films), and they take their time, but I have to say I've never ever been bored watching this film.  The writing just crackles in conjunction with four tour-de-force performances.  This film was perfectly cast - each and everyone of them has a least a few showcase acting moments - although it never feels like that's what they were aiming for, or was the intention.  No matter how many times I see it I always get hypnotized by it. 
It's been out for years now, and it's up on netflix.  If you like any of these actors and you want to see them at the top of their game, this is it.  It's so good.  Finishing it and thinking about it makes me want to watch it all over again - and that's exactly what great story telling does. 

No comments: