Wednesday, September 28, 2011

1627 - Conan O'Brien Can't Stop

I can't say that I was ever a huge Conan fan, mostly out of lack of watching late night.  I'm not a late night guy.  Especially now that I have kids, but I never really liked late night shows, and so besides watching some select clips I just don't know a whole lot about that world.  But Conan was always one of the guys that I liked best. 
It's pretty common knowledge what happened to the guy.  He was slated to take over for Jay Leno on the tonight show - he did - and then seven months later Jay Leno was given the show back - the film explains all this in far better detail - but essentially Conan got screwed over.  They gave him a pretty sweet severance package, but part of the deal was that he wasn't allowed to appear on television (and perhaps radio as well) for six months.  And because he's a workaholic (attention whore?), he decided to do a live stage show.
It's hard to call this a documentary - based on the title you'd think it would be a more introspective look into this type of personality - what makes it so that Conan just can't take a break?  What are the pros and cons of that?  But outside of the title it doesn't get into it at all, and that's a shame.  Instead we get what's more like a behind the scenes featurette.  We see him lovingly abusing his adorable assistant, and generally egotistical about a lot of things.  But at least he's willing to show that on camera - a lot of others wouldn't.
This is really for die hard Conan fans, I'm not really sure that there's anything in here otherwise.  I enjoyed it enough, but don't feel like I really got anything out of it. 

No comments: