Monday, May 14, 2012

1730 - The Office: season eight

I can't think of a single person who thinks this season was anywhere even close to the kind of quality the show was so famous for merely a few seasons ago.  It's not terrible.  It's just… I don't even know.  In a weird way I didn't exactly miss Steve Carell, I think what bothers me more than anything is that they have this stock pile of great characters and they don't have a goddamn clue what to do with any of them.  The show has just gotten goofy as well.  Who knows why they hell they keep Gabe around anymore (he had such great promise).  The show probably has too many characters as well, to be honest.  To the point where many of them get little to no screen time.  Pam and Jim haven't been interesting on the show for almost two seasons now - mostly because the writers have given them zero goals, they just sit adrift inside of the office.  For a show that once had a really strong narrative and trajectory, now it seems happy to just sit still and do absolutely nothing but try to maintain the statue quo while flirting with the idea of big changes being afoot.  I loved the idea of reintroducing David Wallace at the end, and I can only hope that it means that when we come back to the new season (Yes, I will come back - god knows why) that it means a crack down will occur.  Things will get series, fast, and people will start being held accountable.  Kelly and Dwight (and perhaps Ryan)  will be departing the series soon enough, so hopefully they'll be doing some interesting things with those characters when the show returns.  To be fair, they couldn't do less interesting things… I remain hopefully - though I don't know why...

No comments: