Tuesday, May 15, 2012

1732 - Smash: season one

I was one of those people who absolutely loved the pilot for Glee, and then couldn't make it through the first season.  I love me a good musical, but just as much I love story and character development, and sadly for Glee, it doesn't really know what that is.  Smash, on the other hand, seemed to put those things first.  The pilot started with a question "Who will play Marilyn?" and I loved that it became the central question of the finale. 
Here is a show that I finding myself loving aspects of and feeling 'meh' about a great deal otherwise.  The musical numbers are, for the most part, pretty damn outstanding.  And I'll argue with anyone who claims that this isn't one of the best show series currently on television.  The biggest problem with this show is that... well... I don't really LOVE any of the characters.  I like Derek.  I like Cartright.  I like Tom and Julie.  I find Angelica Houston's character to be... well... played by Angelica Houston (nothing against her - I just have never been a fan).  And then there's the character of Ellis who I know I'm supposed to hate - but he actually makes me angry, mostly because I just have a hard time buying that they'd let the little shit stick around.  And then there's the character of Dev, who I've never liked.  And don't get me started on Debra Messing's son character...
If you like musicals and Broadway there's a good chance you'll like this show as it's a window into that world.  The biggest problem I forsee is that I just don't see how this show continues past a second season.  What keeps it motivated and interesting?  Hopefully they've got something up their sleeves.  I like this show quite a bit, but I don't love it.  Let's see if a second season can change that...

No comments: