Wednesday, September 08, 2010

1394 - Hot Tub Time Machine


When high concept is done properly, it's really really fun to watch. The comedy writing duo behind this Sean Anders & John Morris are responsible for some of the more interesting high-concept comedies I've seen recently. There's this, She's Out of Your League, and Sex Drive. And each time I come out thinking that the film was far better than I thought it would be. For my money, these two guys are worth paying attention to.
The set-up with the hot tub is stupid, and the filmmakers know it - and they don't care. It allows leverage for the zany. There is a lot in here that's predictable, but it's enjoyable to watch the trip, so you don't care if you've already figured out where it's going to go.
Without ruining anything I'll say that this is a fun ride for those who like this sort of thing.

No comments: