Monday, December 06, 2010

1472 - The Walking Dead: season one

Anyone who has read my blog in the past month knows that I'm pretty into this story, or at least the idea of the series, which is essentially a band of people just trying to survive in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse. The comic series is phenomenal in every way - great characters, story, themes, and more important, great execution.
The pilot for this series nailed the tone just right - it mixed the disturbing with the mundane, but future episodes seemed to lose that a bit. And for a series that it meant to be about the survivors I didn't really feel like I got to know, or care, about them all that much - and that is the biggest downfall from this first season. And for someone like Darabont it really surprises me. This show has been greenlit for a second, longer, season and so perhaps that will help deal with some of those issues.
For fans of the comic that haven't jumped in yet keep in mind that they're not following the comic religiously by any means, so it's not just like a giant retread (if it were it might be a bit better..., but that's just my humble opinion).
It's worth giving this show a shot given that it's only six episodes in it's first run - but I implore you that if you like this show in anyway do yourself a favor and pick up the comic series of the same name, it will not disappoint!

3 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I liked the first season. I'm just not a graphic novel/comic fan so not sure I'll get around to it. I do wonder what the CDC guy whispered in Rick's ear in the end.

Jeremy said...

Clearly he whispered whatever Darabont will find most useful for him to have whispered once it needs to come up again :) That was such a bullshit cheat :)

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I wasn't sure if it was something from the comic.