Monday, December 13, 2010

1477 - Young People Fucking


I decided to forgo my usual still photo to show then entire ensemble - it's so strong that it's really not fair to leave anyone else. I first saw this film back when we were casting The Untitled Work of Paul Shepard, and while no one from this cast ended up in our film it's absolutely no reflection on how good this cast is - in fact the main reason I initially watched it (outside of sheer interest) was to check out the casting director's work, Jenny Lewis and Sara Kay, whom we were lucky enough to have to put together our cast. I'm also now fortunate enough to know several of the cast from this film - in fact I'm currently working with two of them on a tv series that I'm editing - more on that in the upcoming months as it gets ready to air.

I love good ensembles, I think it's because I'm big on the idea of exploring different angles of a theme and ensembles really give you the latitude to do that. I like the structure that this has going for it as well and it makes me think I might want to do something in that vein as well with something that I'm currently developing.

This is now on netflix in Canada and so I encourage you all to check it out - it's a pretty simple film, five groups of people explore the idea of intimate relations over the course of a single sexual encounter. Some might consider this a talking-head film, but it's more dynamic than that - and even if it was, the heads are saying some pretty fantastic stuff. This is easily one of the stronger Canadian films I've seen in recent years - and it's the kind of film that I can see myself revisiting more and more. It's rare for me to watch the same film more than once these days, so there's that alone for the recommendation. If absolutely nothing else, check it out for the assortment of fantastic talent, a lot of which are still working in our home and native land.

No comments: