Tuesday, December 21, 2010

1481 - Saved!


I've broken my Christmas-film streak already. In all fairness I really wanted to watch Love Actually tonight but it would appear as that my copy is M.I.A. and netflix doesn't have it. I had some other options, but ever since I saw this on netflix I've been meaning to watch it since it's been on my list of films to watch for many many years.

I grew up surrounded by religion and I find it an interesting topic. I don't really prescribe to a religion. I'm of the opinion that all you really need to be is a descent person - if it makes you feel better to lend yourself to a deity - all the better. What's really interesting about this film is that it's not about "is religion useful or useless?". It's about how people misinterpret religion and assign it to horrible rules and regulations. The key line comes when someone questions all the rules in the bible and questioned "Why would God make us all so different if he wanted us to be the same?" People could easily argue that that is actually the test, to restrain from being too different. If that's true, if that's what we're supposed to do in this life, then I'm happy to fail.

This film is full of great young performers (not to mention Mary-Louise Parker, whom will always hold a place in my heart). Jena Malone continues to delight me in everything I see her in. Patrick Fugit is still one of the more under-used actors of his generation - why he's not cast more often I have no idea. I'm just starting to become familiar with Eva Amurri, but I like what I see. Macaulay Culkin is also a treat here. And Mandy Moore, well, who doesn't love to play a villain as juicy at this one?

If you can dig on a thoughtful film about religion and moral ambiguity search no further. It's smart, fun, and fresh. Well worth an hour and a half of your time!

No comments: