Friday, December 17, 2010

1478 - Real Genius


I don't know how it is that I had never heard of this film. I was working with two of the creative consultants on the show I'm working on and somehow this film came up, and surprisingly it just got added to netflix, so I saw it as a sign.

The hard thing about going back to much loved films, especially those made in the eighties, is that there's a real danger of them not holding up all that well. I can say that I didn't really laugh throughout this film - but the story was engaging and I really liked the characters - Val Kilmer appears in one of his first roles and it's no reason that he became a star - he's quite charming here. I think that there's some pretty clever writing going on here, it's just that the humor is from two decades past. Either way, I'm really glad I checked it out - I had a grin on my face the entire time.

If you've never seen this and you have a particular fondness for the eighties, it's a no-brainer - check it out.

No comments: