Monday, December 27, 2010

1485 - Scream

Even though the newest Scream film is several months away I've decided to revisit this series in preparation for something I'm working on. It's hard to believe that we're zoning in on the 15th anniversary of this film. I remember when it first came out, how awesome it was the first time I'd seen it and how well it did (and still does) stand up over repeat viewings. In a lot of ways this is the Cadillac of teen-slasher-comedy films.
I question the logic of some of it now that I'm watching it with more critical eyes, but I can let some stuff slide for pure entertainment. The entire cast of this film is near perfect and I'm surprised that the majority of them haven't gone on to higher profile careers, funny how that sort of stuff works out - that isn't to say that they don't all have good careers. Okay. I'm going to stop talking now.
The entire third act of this film is pretty much pitch perfect, and the Drew Barrymore opening sequence sets the entire tone of the film up perfectly. Not easy to do. The simplicity of this film is something well-worth keeping in mind, just keep it fun, keep the tension going when needed.
If you've never seen this film and you're in any way, shape, or form a fan of great, fun horror films - get thee to a video store.

2 comments:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

This movie really scared me. I had nightmares afterward. I thought it was great. The sequels paled in comparison. I haven't seen it in years. The older I get the further away from horror movies I become. But the new Scream is one that I will go see.

Jeremy said...

That's what's so great about it - and I think that a lot of people forget that, for better or worse, this film rebooted the teen slasher flick. I'm stupid excited for Scream 4 - especially knowing that it's been some time, I can't imagine that everyone would have come back unless the script was solid.