Wednesday, December 08, 2010

1475 - Teeth

I love the above poster and so I decided to use the in lieu of the usual still image that I put on top of my movie reviews. I remember hearing about this film when it first came out and I thought that the premise was pretty fantastic. What is the premise you ask? Essentially it's that a young girl who is passionate about keeping pure and chaste realizes she was born with vagina dentata. Now what is that? Well... the film is called Teeth after all.
Essentially it's a metaphor for the wrongs that men do to women and how one fights back in a very unique way. The tone is playful and that makes a huge difference. Jess Weixler does something pretty special with the lead in this film - I can't imagine that it's an easy role to play but she does absolute wonders with it, I believe that this poor girl is learning about herself as she goes along.
This could have been some really campy bullshit, and while it properly borrors from that type of storytelling, it does so with intent and it's all the better for it. This film isn't for everyone - but I recommend it to those even remotely curious. It's more dark comedy than horror. That being said, probably not a great date movie... :)

1 comment:

Screenwriting Spinster said...

I've been wanting to see this. I tend not to rent movies, so if I miss it it he cinemas then it takes me forever to get to them. I don't even think this one opened in theatres.