Thursday, August 04, 2011

1599 - The Ex

I really don't know what made me watch this, besides the fact that it was on netflix and I felt like having something on in the background.  What's even more quizzical is that I have absolutely no idea how this attracted the talent that it did.  It even brought Charles Grodin out of retirement (and he certainly isn't looking his best unfortunately). 
It's the story of a man whom moves his family back to his wife's hometown only to find himself competing against a former flame.  The biggest problem with this film is that it features a rivalry over a woman who has her own opinions and can not be won.  Secondly it just really feels kind of 'meh'.  There is a fun 'couples therapy' sequence in the middle of the film, but other than that not really any great solid laughs.  I liked Braff, Peet, and Bateman as always, it's just a shame that they didn't have stronger material to play off of.  This is by no means a terrible film, it's just not something I can passionately recommend.  Good rainy day watching.
The Ex (Unrated Widescreen Edition) 

No comments: