Friday, August 26, 2011

1605 - Dark Rising

Full disclosure, I know some of the people involved in this film, and the only real reason I checked it out (on Netflix!) is because I've been invited to the premiere tomorrow.  Now this type of film isn't normally my cup of tea, but I quite enjoyed it once it got rolling along.  I think the biggest issue that the film has is it's lack of consistent tone.  There's a fair amount of camp to it, but I personally think that it would have been a far stronger film if it really embraced the camp and took it a tad further.  Landy Cannon and Brigitte Kingsley are enjoyable and downright hilarious when they're really owning their characters, and on opposite ends of the spectrum, with Brigitte is taking things far too serious, and Landy when he's being a tad glib, or bringing up real-world problems amidst the chaos. 
The set-up you just have to go with as there are some red flags with it - but if you suspend your disbelief you'll be just fine.  This is clearly not everyone's cur of tea - but if you like your sci-fi with a bit of a wink then this might just be up your alley.  
Dark Rising

No comments: