Wednesday, August 31, 2011

1608 - I Love You Phillip Morris

This is one of those films that got announced during the casting process and then, for the most part, disappeared.  I'd followed it behind the scenes and I remember that it was having a hard time finding a distributor.  I guess even with Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor it's hard to sell a gay romantic comedy.  Carrey and McGregor play two convicts whom fall in love, and when separated from their prison cell, Carrey's character goes to extreme lengths to try and be with his beloved, Phillip Morris, which always lands him in trouble.
I liked this film, but I was primed to love it.  I realize that it's based on a true story, but at the same time I thought it could have been a little funnier, more biting, or something.  For an already short film I'd be lying if I didn't say that it dragged just a tad in the middle and takes a little too long to get going off the top.  As much as I love Leslie Mann I think that you could have completely cut out the storyline of his old family and career as a cop without missing a single thing (outside of a tinge of irony). 
It's on netflix now, so check it out if you're interested in it.  In a coincidental turn of events I'm having somewhat of a Glenn Ficarra & John Requa double-bill as Emily and I plan to see their Crazy Stupid Love later in the week (had no idea that they were the ones whom made this).  So in terms of a recommendation, take a look at the subject matter and go from there.  It's not an amazing film, but it's entertaining enough for it's hour and a half running time.
I Love You Phillip Morris  I Love You Phillip Morris(book)

No comments: