Sunday, February 14, 2010

1317 - Freaks & Geeks


I don't even know where the hell to begin this. I've meant to watch this series for a long time - but shit happens - life gets in the way - other things get watched. First off, look at the cast above here. Not ONE of these people left this show and didn't go off to a great continuous career. From left to right they're all still working and doing extremely well for themselves. How many ensemble casts can you say that about? Especially ones full of teenagers. AND ones where the series was canceled after it's first season?
So let's talk about that first off. This series is about as close to perfect as you can get. It's a true ensemble. It never gets preachy and yet it deals with strong issues. And it does so with a wink and a knowing smile. It came out at the beginning of the last decade, right before HBO and Showtime proved without a doubt that viewers could sustain an ongoing story. That shows didn't have to be split down the middle comedy or drama. They could be both. I think that this series came down to the fact that they just didn't know how to market the damn thing. And that's a damn shame. There isn't a single episode in this eighteen-episode series that isn't fantastic. Some are simply amazing, but the weakest still stand strong. And it's full of characters that you just ache to spend time with. Mine was Martin Starr's Bill. Goddamn do I love Bill.
So I don't want to talk too much and give anything away. But if you haven't seen this series yet do yourself a big favor and check it out. It's on DVD. I'm going to pick up my own copy as soon as I get a chance. The DVD set is packed with stuff and a great linear notes.
Wish I would have gotten to this sooner, but just glad that I got around to it at all in the mountain of good media that exists.

1 comment:

remistevens said...

Finally saw this for the first time recently as well. Absolutely loved it, despite the genre being outside of my usual tastes. Bill was awesome, but I think he's only my second favourite to Harold (Joe Flaherty).

They did figure out how to market the show. So they poorly cloned it and made a fortune calling it 'that 70's show'. .