Friday, February 12, 2010

The Ultimates 2 Vol 2: Grand Theft America


Technically this is volume 4 and where I've been told to stop. If you could look at these books as series, these would have been a nice two films. And the second one would have appropriately upped the ante. The Hulk trial was just amazing and his return here was sweet.
I suppose my one complaint with this one is that there's just too much going on, too many characters. You can't focus. Everyone gets a little moment, but that's it. There's not enough opportunities for greatness. The battle is epic and fantastic in many ways, but ironically feels a bit... diluted. I felt that the battle at the end of the first one, while smaller in scale, was far more personal. More interesting.
I'm curious as to where it goes after this, but I'll probably follow my instructions and not bother. I'll find internet summaries. In truth I find it's all very cyclical in terms of the characters problems within the team (which is the most interesting stuff for me).
So not horrible, but not as strong as the first two books. Worth reading though for sure!

No comments: