Sunday, February 21, 2010

1319 - Brothers


I'm not big on war movies. But movies about what war does to people - I'm all for. I suppose you could argue that's what ALL war films are about. So perhaps that I should clarify that big battles and explosions don't do anything for me. I'm not against them, but I wouldn't watch a film with the anticipation of that alone.
So what we've got here is a story of two brothers, both from different sides of the fence, one a prisoner slacker and one a soldier with a young family. And from the outset you know that these two men are going to go down the opposite paths of where they started from. Maguire looks exactly like that scrawny pro-military guy we all know. Given all that I'm still not quite convinced that he's landing someone as hot as the cheerleader that Natalie Portman was. But Nat is great in the film and is given a role that's moving her into a different category past the usual manic pixie dream girl and into something more mature and refined. Looking forward to seeing where that takes her.
There are some really nice plot moves in this film, but over all I just wanted the film to go a bit further into what was going on with these characters under the surface of it all. It felt like it went a little more than half there and decided that it was enough. For me, it wasn't.
So it's not a bad film at all, but given the level of talent involved in it - it should have been a great film.

No comments: