Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fables #13: The Great Fables Crossover


So before I get into my thoughts on this, I have to wonder why this last issue of this arc came out last July and the trade just came out last week. That's like seven months! I guess they're trying to get people to keep buying the single issues. If the trades came out right away there would be no incentive to wait. Huh. I guess that makes sense.
So this cross-over was more to do with the Jack storyline than the Fables one, really, and for that I'm really glad that I read the Jack-line all the way through. In all reality you could probably pull this story right out of the Fables line and I don't think it would make that big a difference. Besides their world potentially coming to an end, nothing... really... happened. NOW, that being said, it changed EVERYTHING in the Jack of Fables storyline in that the slate is wiped, pretty much, clean. It could go anywhere, do anything, and that's kind of exciting...
I'd be lying if I didn't say I didn't feel a little concern about the future of both Fables & Jack. It feels, to me, that their greatest battles have been fought and won and... what's left? Fables started off on a pretty interesting path - the idea of how you have to deal with the fall-out from war... but where can/will it go with it? Time will tell.
So overall - I enjoyed this. What was most fun was seeing them mixing the tones of the sillier Jack books with that of Fables - mostly evident in the treating of Bigby. All-in-all a decent book, but I don't think you'll get the full appreciation of it if you haven't read the Jack series. And now... I just have to wait... good thing I've got a stack of things to keep me busy.

No comments: