Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The Ultimates #1: Super-Human


I've always avoided the big super heroes. I've read some of the more famous Superman trades - Death of Superman, World Without a Superman, & Kingdom Come, but I've never really travelled into the Marvel territory of things. In truth I just always felt like I didn't know where to start - there is too much history - too much to know - and I'm a fan of starting things from the beginning and knowing as much as I can, so I was guided towards this as it's designed to be a reboot or a remaining of The Avengers. So not known the original origins of Captain America, I found this really interesting. I got a kick out of how they involved all the characters and the iterations on them. They have some fun with pop-culture as well. I really got a strong feeling for how Bruce Banner felt among all this, and his turn at the end wasn't surprising - in fact you're excited and waiting for it. This trade ends beautifully wanting me to jump in and read the next one (which I just so happen to have in my back-pack…)

So while this doesn't knock my socks off in the way that some of the stuff I've been reading lately has, it's definitely interesting and I'll definitely keep reading it, especially since as I've been told there's only four books in the series (that may just be so-far, not sure).

Oh… oh… oh… new Fables today… will I pick it up? Hrm… I'll probably wait for the weekend…

No comments: