Sunday, February 21, 2010

Incognito


This is my first venture into the world of Ed Brubaker. I have to say, I was 'meh' for a lot of this. It's a big world with a lot of characters, and I'm not sure what to think or care as I'm going along. The art work doesn't do anything for me, really. I'm not sure what it is about it, I think I just wanted them to go a little further with the idea of the noir. Feels like photoshop filters on top of photos. Maybe it'll grow on me. I'm not trying to say that they aren't artistic, but to me they just aren't effective. The covers are really wonderful though.
The characters are interesting. Essentially it's about a super-villian in some kind of a witness protection program following the death of his twin brother. It's interesting enough. I mean, I think it would make a hell of a film. By the end of it I was into it and I'll gladly read more (which is rumoured to be coming). Although it felt like they burned through a lot of characters in this book. I'm sure that there's more where that came from. At any rate I'm intrigued enough to look into more of Brubaker's stuff - I'm especially intrigued by "Sleeper" & "Gotham Central". I quite liked Incognito - but I didn't absolutely love it.

No comments: