Monday, February 22, 2010

1320 - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon


This is one of the films I picked up in the Blockbuster closing-sale earlier in the month with a strong recommend from my buddy Scott. Because I just finished directing a doc-style feature AND because my writing partner and I are working on a horror-comedy he thought that I'd dig this. And he was soooo right.
I say doc-style because I find the term 'mockumentary'... offensive. I don't know why, but I do. I find it cheapens the art form. Given that the last decade has seen the majority of our television programming shifting to reality/doc style the public is fairly used to seeing things done this way. It's a legitimate story telling structure. It's probably the inclusion of 'mock' into it. Alas.
So this film is a lot of fun. Not only does it have a lot of fun with the documentary format, but it has a LOT of fun with the horror genre. One could say it's sending it up, and it does, but it's a legitimate horror film as well. It doesn't go stupid like the Wayans brothers send-ups - instead it goes scary and creepy. And it's a treat. NOW, it does cheat. But I'm okay with it - I won't explain how 'cause that'll ruin some of the fun of the ending.
From time to time I found them over-explaining, but it makes sense in how I think it'll make an average audience grab right along with it. Nathan Baesel & Angela Goethals are really really fantastic as the director & pschiopath. This is the kind of film that I'm so glad that I own so I can dig right into the special features. Highly recommend it!

No comments: