Thursday, April 01, 2010

1330 - Singin' in the Rain


The people in this film are just so fucking good at what you're doing that it looks effortless. Gene Kelly makes me believe that I could dance like that.

What a charming film this is. A simple and fun plot that gives a bit of a history lesson all the while playing tribute to Hollywood's history. Watching them learn how to use sound is wonderfully entertaining. Jean Hagen is wonderfully over the top and a heck of a lot of fun as the silent film star that can't quiet transition to talkies.

And as charming as Gene is, Debbie Reynolds steals the show. She really does. The film is clearly centred around the musical numbers, but it's okay - that's what we're here to see anyway - and they integrate pretty amazingly into the story anyway.

I've got quite a few gaps in this era of filmmaking and I'm glad that I've now filled in one of the big ones. I'll have to pick this one up when I see it around.

No comments: