Wednesday, April 07, 2010

1332 - Oldboy


Yes. That's right, this is another of the great films that I hadn't seen. And it's also the kind of film that, as soon as it's over, you want to go back and rewatch it again from the start. What's really great about this film, and annoyed me a bit at first, is that you spend the majority of it as lost and confused as it's hero, and it's intentional. As the pieces start to come together you appreciate the confusion.
The film's "twist" ending feels a slight bit deus ex - but it could be because I missed some of the signs leading up. Regardless it went from being a pretty decent film, to a complete head fuck of a film. I don't want to say too much about the storyline, as it's a treat to watch it unfold, but I will say that this film is full of some wonderful sequences. And not crazy, unrealistic phyiscal violence, etc... it's all grounded in a wonderful and often mundane reality.
I look forward to getting my own copy of this film when I see it kicking around somewhere.
Very enjoyable and hopefully it stands up on revisits.

No comments: