Tuesday, April 06, 2010

1331 - Showgirls (commentary)


I'd never seen this film, but I was well aware of it's legacy of badness. I had been loaned the film under the strict instructions to not bother watching the film on it's own, but to only watch it with David Schmader - who is, apparently, a Showgirls aficionado. His theory is that at every single moment of the film, someone is making the wrong choice, whether it's the writer, director, actors, cameraman, grip, craft services, etc... I have to say I was reluctant not to watch the film on it's own first - but much like I can't imagine it being necessary to watch one of the Mystery Science 3000 films on it's own, there is absolutely no reason to watch this film sans-commentary.
At a point in time where I've got a stack of films that I'm dying to see, and another stack that I want to revisit, I still didn't find this a waste of time, but more like watching a horrible film with a wonderful smart ass of a friend.

No comments: